Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Creative Woman in Business: Emily Dowzak, Photographer!

I'm so excited to introduce you all to my next Creative Woman in Business! Please help me welcome Emily, photographer and owner of emme photo design

Hi Emily, please tell us a little about yourself. Beyond name, rank and serial number, what would you like people to know?
Well, my name is Emily Dowzak and I'm extremely passionate about everything I do; from baking homemade bread to photography, I invest my talent, heart and soul. I find joy in others' happiness and beauty in everyday occurrences.

That's awesome, Emily!  What is your creative passion, and why?
Photography! More specifically, capturing those moments that people forget about, look at their photograph and relive the whole emotional journey of that moment. Everyone gets these wonderful moments everyday and so often we miss them because we're all so busy. Preserving those moments for eternity makes me so much more invested in being present in life, not just letting it pass by.

I was just perusing your website, and LOVE your photojournalistic approach.  What inspires you?
Just about everything. Old wooden fences, hugs, rusted car skeletons, color, personal stories, twirly skirts...you name it.

Any advice for the novice just starting out?
Anything worth having is going to be hard; that's why we want it so badly. Follow your passion and you will always have something to hang your hat on at night. Sure, you'll have to tighten your belt sometimes, but at least you'll be true to your calling.

What words of wisdom to you try to live your life by?
There are so many books and inspirations to choose from! I think that the Golden Rule has dominated my life more than any other notion. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” So often people forget we are our own mirrors and a smile goes a lot farther than a frown.

That is so true.  Now for what everyone wants to know: What song has been running through your head all day?
“Anyone Else But You” by the Moldy Peaches from the Juno Soundtrack

Is that because we live near East Jesus Nowhere? (Just kidding!)  Ahem.  For what three things would you like to be remembered?
Being true to myself, helping others, and my baking skills! {laughing} Seriously, I bake A LOT!

Mmmm.  I think that means we could be friends, Emily!  Tell us--is there any particular cause that is near and dear to your heart?
Not a named cause, I guess. I'm a firm believer that we (as Americans) forget that we have people living in third-world conditions right here in the USA and should help out our own as much as we've been helping out world causes. The Appalachian poverty really tears at my heart; it's beautiful nature out there, but such horrible living conditions for many families. Many Appalachian children die from malnutrition and medical issues much like those found in third-world countries, but not many Americans are even aware of their plight.

Please show us your current favorite photo.  We'd love to hear all about it!
For me to choose a favorite photo is really hard! Each one has a story and special meaning to me as well as my clients. I think perhaps this one is my recent favorite. The bride's nephew wanted her to have some more flowers and ran to put these by her feet right as they were exchanging vows. See? A moment!!

How sweet!  It's been a real pleasure to meet you Emily! How can people reach you?
I'm on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sartell-MN/eMmE-photo-design/115746364360?ref=ts
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/emmazing
Website:
http://www.emmephotodesign.com/

Great! Thanks Emily!  Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment